Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Friends......How Many of us Have Them?........Friends

Dear Buppie

I've had a best friend for over 10 years now, but it seems that lately we have been drifting apart. I am entering new phases of my life and being introduced to new social circles. It seems that we just don't have as much in common anymore. Is it worth my while to try to invest time and energy into salvaging this relationship, or should I allow time to rift us farther apart?

-Rifting in Rochester

Rifting in Rochester,

Wow, I know this situation all too well. I went through the same thing with a friend of mine once I went away to college. We were so tight but after some time I found we no longer had the same interests and honestly, it was a chore to be around her. Some people are in your life for a season and some for a lifetime. Don't be afraid to count your losses with a seasonal person. It doesn't mean that you all will never speak again but it does mean that you have probably outgrown one another.

Keep in touch every once in a while but I wouldn't desperately try to salvage something that naturally changed. Now if you did something to hurt the relationship that would be a different story. Me and my friend talk occasionally and I visit her when I am home. And she blames me for us not being as close. But ask yourself this, is she putting forth the same effort to salvage the friendship as you are? I know my friend wasn't so I stopped caring as much and accepted it for what it was.

- Just the Up&Coming's POV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it real! What do you think?